Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Eggplant Parmesan

When I joined Taste and Create,little did I knew that I will be partnered with Myamii herself.I used to view that blog ocassionally.We were like miles apart.Or atleast it felt so until I saw Eggplant Parmesan.I had earlier made Eggplant Parmigiana, so this dish put me at ease.

I followed the recipe given but with slight changes.Click here for the original

Ingredients:
Eggplant pieces:4 to 5
Bread Crumbs:1 cup
Flour:2 tbspn
Water-1/3 cup
Mozzarella shredded:1/2 cup
Marinara sauce
Tomatoes: 2 to 3 big chopped/crushed
Dried Oregano:1 tsp
Dried Thyme:1/2 tsp
Dried Basil: 1 tsp
Tomato Puree: 1/2 cup
Onion: 1 small
salt&Pepper:1/2 tsp each

Preparation:

Marinara Sauce:
Heat Olive oil,add chopped/minced onions and saute till soft.Then add all other ingredients for the sauce and cook until it thickens.

Heat the oven to 400F.Cut the eggplant into round pieces or long strips. Apply salt on them and leave them for 15 minutes. Squeeze the eggplant pieces and this removes the bitterness.


Heat oil in a pan or fryer.I made a thin paste of flour and water and used this instead of eggwhites in the original recipe.I dipped each eggplant piece in this paste and then rolled them in bread crumbs and deep fried them.Allow them to cool in a paper towel.

I used cheese flavoured italian bread crumbs.If you are using unseasoned then add the pepper,salt,oregano/italian seasoning and parmesan cheese to it before rolling the eggplant pieces.

Take a baking dish and layer marinara sauce on it. I made my own marinara using Myamii's recipe with a little twist.On top of the sauce put eggplant pieces.Top the eggplant with shredded Mozzarella and grated Parmesan .Repeat the sauce-eggplant-cheeses till all the eggplants are done,ending with cheese.Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes or till the cheese melts. Cut into wedges and serve.

The baking part is optional.But I tried it just like that.Anyway this is my first entry to Taste & Create and THANKS Myamii for this wonderful recipe and a wonderful event.Hope I have not twisted the recipe too much.

1 Comments:

Rajani said...

this looks really yummy! iam going to try it!

Thanks for visiting my Blog

/*TYNT script starts here */ /*TYNT ends */