Friday, October 9, 2009

Jammy Biscuits for High Tea

These are simply cookies or biscuits as known is India filled with teaspoon of jam and baked and these are crunchy and buttery and perfect for dunking into tea if you feel like it.No tea party can be complete without these.I adapted a very simple recipe I found from the BBCGoodFood Site and here it is.

Ingredients:
Self Raising Flour: 1 cup
Castor Sugar: 1/2 cup
Unsalted Butter : room temperature: 1/2 cup cubed

Egg : 1 lightly beaten OR Ener G Egg: 1 where 1.5 packed tsps of the Ener G powder is whisked with 2 tbsp of water OR any chosen Egg Replacer

Strawberry or Any choice of Jam: as needed


Preparation:
In a big bowl,mix together flour and sugar.Add in cubed butter and mix well pinching and fluffing so that the entire mix resembles coarse sand crumbs.Add in spoonfuls of lightly beaten egg and continue mixing till you obtain a stiff dough.

Form the dough into a log and cut 2 inch slices from it and place it on a greased /lined baking sheet.Make a slight indentation with the tip of spoon/finger in the middle of each cookie and fill it with teaspoonful of jam preferably strawberry.

Bake in a preheated oven t 190C or aout 10-12 minutes till the edges start browning and the jam bubbles.Take out the cookies and let them cool for 10-15 minutes in the baking sheet itelf.This will harden them. Serve with tea or as an anytime cookie.




If you do not have self raising flour then you can replace 1 cup of it with 1 cup All purpose flour + 1.25 tsp baking powder +1/4 tsp salt.I did not soften my butter completely to room temp,just kept it outside for about 10 minutes or so and then used it.This made the biscuits/cookies flaky.Add in egg one spoon at a time and mine took barely 1 tbsp of egg.I got a slightly sticky moist dough.

Instead of forming a log with the dough,I pinched tablespoonful of dough,rounded it and then flattened it ,sort of shaped it with a cookiecutter and then made the indentation and then filled with jam.You can also try flattening the dough and then cutting shapes with a cutter.

I baked my cookies at 175C -180C as the first batch I baked at 190C came out with black bottoms.So I reduced the temperature, baked till the edges turn brown and them switched of the oven and left the cookies inside the oven so that they harden perfectly.Now they are ready to be dunked in the tea.Well this could be due to my oven,I am not sure the same problem is there in every oven.

A fresh batch of buttery crunchy flaky jammies joins Aparna and Meeta for their Monthly Mingle: HighTea Treats .

15 Comments:

Ria Mathew said...

I love Jam treats! Your's look crisp and yum!

Cham said...

I hesitated between this thumb print cookies and shortbread! U made it perfectly! Even kids will love them :)

Nithya said...

I love jam treats too.. this is awesome :)

Priya Suresh said...

Lovely jammy biscuits CL...yet to put my hands to make out these beautiful cookies..

Bombay Foodie said...

Oh! I love jammies. And they look so cute.

Vaishali said...

I'm a huge fan of thumbprint cookies-- can't resist the jam in them. These look delicious and fun, Curry.

Desisoccermom said...

Love the jammy biscuits. Didn't know they were so simple to bake. How thick are the cookie circles before you bake them?

Tina said...

Jammy biscuits looks crispy and yummy.....

Bindiya said...

these look soooo cute and yummy too!

Unknown said...

oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh perfect looks so so so mouthwatering yum..

Sunshinemom said...

I love that site. They have some really delish goodies and you do justice with these yummy jammy biscuits!

Sharmila said...

Am baking a lot of cookies these days and would love to try making these. Will the jam harden too and can I store them for a couple of days ( they look so tempting that am sure I'll eat them up in one day)? :-)
Thanks.

Soma said...

So cute.. you know we get the ready made ones from the Desi stores here:-) my kids love it! & looks a lot like the thumbprints.

Soma(www.ecurry.com)

Thistlemoon said...

These look great! :)

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Look pretty. My daughter loves these too.
Thanks for joining us at High Tea.

Thanks for visiting my Blog

/*TYNT script starts here */ /*TYNT ends */