Saturday, December 5, 2009

Barley Raisin Cookies

These are actually simple coookies that I tried using one of my previous posts on Whole Wheat oats and Raisin Cookies.The original recipe uses 3 parts oats and 1 part wheat flour and in this version I have replaced both with barley flour.It is just an experiment and I had used very less quantites fearing it might go wrong but that turned out right and hence I am blogging it.

Ingredients:
Barley Flour : 1/2 cup
Raisins:2 tbsp
Milk: 1.5 tbsp
Brown Sugar: 2 tbsp
Vegetable oil: 2 tsp
Honey: 1/2 tsp

Preparation:
In a bowl,whisk together Barley flour,raisins and sugar.Add in milk,oil and honey and knead gently to form a dough.Pinch handful of dough and lay them on a greased/lined baking sheet flattening them slightly.

Bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 15-20 minutes or more till the underside and edges get brown.My cookie top never browned.Cool on a rack.



Actually barley is a nutty flour and can be used to replace whole wheat in most of the baked goods.Here I have used this concept and replaced not just wheat but also oats which was in the main recipe.At first while forming the dough I never added honey,but the dough was not coming together and on tasting,I found the dough was not sweet enough.So I added the honey and also extra 1/2 tsp of oil.The taste was amazing but the attempt is amaeteurish and can be more developed into a much better recipe.But right now the barley cookies are on way to Madhuram's Whole Grain Baking event:Barley.

11 Comments:

Cham said...

Such a wonderful barley cookie! I never thought barley could be used in many form!

egglesscooking said...

Thanks for this simple and healthy recipe Sweatha.

Tina said...

Simple and healthy cookies.....

Red Chillies said...

You are such a terrific and clever baker Sweatha. Great idea!

Priya Suresh said...

Such a wonderful cookies, looks simply fantastic..

Sunshinemom said...

I am seeing all these wonderful barley creations everywhere! Very tempting. Did you make your own flour or do you actually get barley flour?

DK said...

I had been meaning to bake something for the event - but with Barley Malt Syrup. Tried out few experiments - they were not disastrous, but they werent great either - I think I crossed the deadline! Ah well next one.

These cookies look simple and are so nutritious. Good one dear.

DK
http://chefinyou.com

chef and her kitchen said...

I love the combination of ingredients u use dear..

Anshika said...

Cookies are looking crunchy and delicious.

Anonymous said...

Mmm, just baked them mmm
wonderful!!!
I made them with dark brown sugar and instead of raisins I've put half raisins half cranberries - chopped!!! And then I saw some pinoles and add like 1 tbsp of them also chopped.
Great recipe
and just enough for 7 cookies, I dont like to store or freeze.
Hope my son will love them:)

Ramjee said...

Hi,

Thanks for a healthy recipe. This is my first recipe trial from your blog. I do have a couple of questions.

1) My cookies have an aftertaste. I can still eat it. Maybe barley just tastes like this ???? I doubt that it could be raw after 20 mins in the oven. I donno what to do about it. Can I preroast the barley flour on stovetop or something?

2)Also, have you tried this cookie recipe using rye or ragi or any other nutritious flour? If you have an idea about which would work for this, I would love to hear from you and try it.

Thanks again,
Anusha

Thanks for visiting my Blog

/*TYNT script starts here */ /*TYNT ends */