Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Jammy Doughnut Muffins

I have never ever worked with barley flour.So when Madhuram announced whole grain Baking with Barley I was literally dumbstruck.I expected riceflour,but never barley.Anyway thus began my search for Barley in Bangalore.Obviously I could not find any flour,so I purchased whole barley or barley rice as it is known here and ground to a fine flour.The first experiment with it turned to be a flop.I tried baking a bread and it ended up in dustbin.Thankfully these muffins turned out great .I never expected it to come out good but they were surprisingly good and well tasty almost like doughnuts.I have adapted the recipe from Hamiltons Barley Site and it is pretty easy and I have made it vegan as well.

Ingredients:
Dry Mix:
Barley Flour: 1 and 3/4 cup
Sugar: 3/4 cup
Baking Soda: 1.5 tsp
Cinnamon: 1/2 tsp
Nutmeg: 1/2 tsp
Salt: 1/2 tsp (PS: In my excitement,I forgot it)

Wet Mix:
Egg: 1 OR 1 Ener G Egg (1.5 tsp of packed powder blended with 2 tbsp of water)
Milk: 3/4 cup (I used soymilk)
Vegetable Oil: 1/4 cup (I used 2 tbsp only)

Stuffing:
Jam of your choice

Topping (optional):
Melted Butter along with cinnamon sugar
Icing Sugar & Sprinkles

Preparation:
In a big bowl,whisk together the dry ingredients.In another small bowl,lightly beat (with a fork) the wet ingredients.If using Ener G Egg ,then optionally add 1-2 tbsp of water or milk/soymilk.The original recipe has 4 tbsp of oil,but I reduced it to 2,but you can add 4 as I felt the muffins were a bit dry .

Add the wet ingredients to the dry mix and stir until combined.

Spoon little of the thick muffin batter into the greased and lined muffin cups till 1/3 rd full. Make a slight indentation or hole on this batter. Just a little indentation and not a complete well.Add around 1 tsp + of jam into this hole.It looks like...


Top the jam with more batter till the cup is full.Do so with remaining muffin cups.



Bake in a preheated oved at 375F for 25-27 minutes or more until the tester comes out clean.Take out and let it cool for 10 minutes in the muffin moulds.After which remove and cool completely on the wirerack.
It looks like this ...

or like this....


You can brush melted butter on top and then dip it into cinnamon sugar.I simply topped it with powdered sugar and added sprinkles.Obviously this is my entry to Whole Grain Baking Event: Barley at EgglessCooking.
UPDATE on 12/12/09: These delicious muffins are perfect for tea and are on way to EC's WYF:Tea Time Snack.



11 Comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Muffins looks moist, soft and spongy..Delicious and jammy muffins..

Toni @ Imperfect Pregnancy said...

I never thought about putting jam into muffins but that is a brilliant idea! I need jam now...

suvi said...

this sounds very interesting. Must be very yum with the jam :)

Tina said...

Great idea...Looks delicious.

Cham said...

I like the doughnut filled with Jam which we get here in US! Barley muffins with jam is something new and tasty!

hv jn4 rnfvju hn fjmv nvtrngjv cftmgkivj mt said...

Oooh! That's a great one Sweatha. I too wanted to try that muffin. Special thanks to you for taking the effort to find whole barley and grind it and use it, all for this event. I really appreciate it. You can send me the entries even on Sunday or Monday morning. I'm thinking of posting the round up on MOnday morning EST.

RV @ Food for 7 Stages said...

jammy jammy yummy yummy muffins.. its a nice idea to add jam.... I am loving the baked ones..

Usha said...

I have never baked anything with only barley flour, it looks so soft and delicious !

Unknown said...

Great recipe with barley. Looks delicious!

Soma said...

I have never worked with barley flour before. Jam in the muffins, thats the way I like it :-)

Soma(www.ecurry.com)

EC said...

Looks lovely and is a nice idea of adding jam..thanks for the entry

Thanks for visiting my Blog

/*TYNT script starts here */ /*TYNT ends */