Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Tomato Basil Drop Biscuits

These are simple American Biscuits - not cookies as such - which I tried out recently when I had extra basil with me.Normally what happens is I may get few recipes from cooking sites and some ingredients would not be there or vice versa.So I was left with a bunch of fresh basil which I thought I would turn into breads or something similar and then I came across the drop biscuits recipe in TasteofHome. They can be quickly made and I made them spicier with the addition of chilli flakes.

Ingredients:
All Purpose Flour: 1 cup
Baking Powder: 1.5 tsp
Pepper/chilli flakes: 1/4 tsp or as per taste
Salt: 1/2 tsp

Vegetable Shortening/Vanaspati:  3 tbsp cold


Oil: 1-2 tsp
Onion: 1 small or chopped 3-4 tbsp
Tomatoes: 1 medium or 1/2 cup chopped
Chilli flakes: 1/4 tsp or as per taste (optional)

Fresh basil: 2 tbsp + finely chopped/chiffonaded

Milk: 1/3 cup .

Preparation:
Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onions.Saute until transparent and add tomatoes,salt and optional chilli flakes.Let it cook for a few minutes but before the tomatoes start giving out water.Remove from heat and stir in fresh basil.Keep aside to cool.

In a big bowl,mix together flour,salt,pepper/chilli flakes and baking powder.Add in cold shortening cut into cubes or pieces and mix well.Pinch and fluff the mix until the mix resembles bread crumbs or turns coarse.

Stir  in the tomato mixture and then add milk little by little until just combined.I needed only 4 tbsp of milk though the recipe(halved) mentioned 5 tbsp. You will get a sticky thick dough like mass.

Drop by tablespoonfuls 1-2 ' inches apart onto a lightly greased baking sheet.



Bake for 400F/200 C for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.Take out and cool in wire racks.Serve warm.


                                   

These  are perfect and hearty snacks especially during tea time.

These are not cookies but bread line biscuits and you can see the interiors well.They are a bit chewy but as said filling snacks.The combo of basil and tomato is classic and this recipe brings out the taste very well.Instead of basil you can also go for coriander and use your choice of spices.

                                    

4 Comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Woww very beautiful looking biscuits, looks soo cute!

Myvegfare said...

They look lovely, the colour seems attractive, and adding spices always makes it much more tastier! (that's me I love my spices)

Unknown said...

Love savory biscuits. Looks delicious.

dining table said...

These are beautiful biscuits. I love the size and what color it turned out. Very nice.

Thanks for visiting my Blog

/*TYNT script starts here */ /*TYNT ends */