Saturday, July 9, 2011

Sweet Feggous Salad

Recently I bought snakemelon or uri or Armenian cucumber. Don't be confused I am referring to yard long cucumber known as Kakri/ Kakdi in Hindi and also called Feggous in Morocco.It is actually a variety of musk melon and related to cucumber. It can be used just as you use the cucumbers in salads and it is easier to digest than the regular common ones and is fruity. You can get more info on it here and here.

I have never tried a sweet cucumber salad before and so I tried out the simple feggous salad  from Morocco- adapted from here. This is meant as a sweeter side for the fiery hot mains,but I ended up eating it as a snack/dessert etc -May be I sweetened it much more!. But whatever it was the sugar with cucumber was hearty and add to it the nutty orange blossom syrup, which is a mood lifter.

Ingredients:
Kakri/ Uri/Feggous Cucumber: atleast 1 grated
Sugar: 1-2 tsp as per taste
Salt: a pinch
Orange blossom syrup/Orange Flower water :1-2 tsp
Lemon juice: a big squeeze of lemon

Preparation:
Cut the ends of the cucumber and grate into thin long strands. Depending on the ripeness it may have small seeds which are perfectly digestible. Optionally you can remove them.

Mix with all the other ingredients and adjust the taste. Let it stand for around 10 minutes for the flavours to mingle and then serve. Else chill in the fridge till serving time.

Serve as a starter or a side or snack as it was for me.

It is sweeter and crunchy and perfect hearty and a guilt free snack. Loved the orange flower scent which lifts us up.
Now, those who turn their noses away from this sweet salad do not worry, we have a savoury raitha -a traditional one at that - coming up next.

6 Comments:

Oriyarasoi said...

Wuld like to try this sweet salad......looks promising!!!

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Lovely flavors in it...

Reva said...

Salad looks yum... very new to me. Adding orange blossom water adds so much fragrance to the dish:)
Reva

Unknown said...

wow, that is unusual, I mean adding orange syrup, but I can almost taste it, sounds superb !!!

Swati Sapna said...

Orange blossom water and cucumber? Very intriguing combination! But I'm sure it tasted fantastic :) here is a version of cucumber chutney that I made :
http://theweekendepicurean.blogspot.com/2010/07/cucumber-chutney.html
Do give it a try sometime for a more sweet-spicy flavour!

Jp Munoz said...

I love your recipe. I will try it one of this day. You can also try my favorite salad here: http://www.blackbookcooking.com/green-papaya-salad

Thanks for visiting my Blog

/*TYNT script starts here */ /*TYNT ends */