Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

I know I am back after a short break. I know you might not have missed me much. :) But FYI, I was still baking and cooking though could not post the dishes. Anyways, I thought I would post a simple chocolate cake which works very well for me. You must have seen several versions of this vegan chocolate cake and some of them might or might not have worked out for you. I too have tried several recipes given in cookery sites but still the one that worked is from Joy of Vegan baking by Colleen Patrick Goudreau. I went for a simple cream cheese frosting to go with it and it was definitely heavenly.




Ingredients:
All Purpose Flour: 1.5 cups
Cocoa Power: 4 tbsp
 Sugar: 3/4 cup
Salt:1/2 tsp
Baking Soda:1 tsp

Ice cold Water: 1 cup
Canola/Vegetable oil: 1/3 cup
Vanilla :1.5 tsp
White Distilled Vinegar: 1 tbsp 

Preparation:
Combine flour,sugar,cocoa powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Mix well and make a well in the centre. Add in the wet ingredients of vanilla,oil,vinegar and water. 

Mix until just combined.Pour the batter in a lightly greased bundt pan or another appropriate baking dish.Bake in a preheated oven at 180C or 350F for about 30 minutes until the tester comes clean.

Take out and cool completely before turning out onto a rack or serving dish.It will not come out properly otherwise. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes atleast incase you have not used a bundt pan.



Cream Cheese Frosting:
Cream Cheese: about 8 tbsp
Butter: 4 tbsp
Confectioners Sugar: 6 tbsp + /- as needed
Milk: 2 tbsp+ as needed
Vanilla extract :few drops

Beat together cheese and sugar until creamy adding in vanilla and milk as needed.Adjust the ingredients to get the taste and thickness you prefer.You can make it as thin for drizzling our thick so that you can pipe or spread all about.

Drizzle over the cake or spread as a layer. 


In the pic given I have simply drizzled over the cake. The frosting is optional and you can simply dust the cake with powdered sugar. The cake  is vegan but the frosting is not. If you have access to vegan ingredients feel free to make the dish entirely vegan.



A moist tasty yet easy to make cake. The frosting is excellent and compliments the cake. Make it, and enjoy it.Yum, Yum, let me make it once more. :P







7 Comments:

Unknown said...

yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sowmya

Ongoing Event - Coconut

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Cute and delicious looking cake...Loved the frosting..

Swathi said...

Beautiful chocolate cake Sweatha, Chocolate and cream cheese marries well.

Priya Suresh said...

Wish i get a slice rite now, super spongy and irresistible.

lubnakarim06 said...

Simply delectable cake...love the color....left an facebook mail...check it...

Reva said...

Cake looks yummy..:)) I love cream cheese frosting and that is tempting me too much..:)
Reva

Lisa Turner said...

Lovely cake. As the weather gets cooler, I have plans to start baking again.

Thanks for visiting my Blog

/*TYNT script starts here */ /*TYNT ends */