Monday, May 20, 2013

Cucumber Mint Yogurt Soup | Be a Cool Cucumber

Soups for me meant tomato soup. Warm creamy tomato soup seasoned perfectly was the first thing I looked forward/ ordered whenever I went to a restaurant.Based on the taste and texture I used to like or dislike the restaurant. And this was before my blogging and even food review days. 

Ofcourse the preference still continues. Even when it hot outside, I still prefer my warm tomato soup sitting under a high speed fan or air conditioner. :)

But jokes apart, I was at first surprised to learn about cold soups.There are ofcourse a wide range of these cold soup and these days I have taken a liking for these as well.

Recently I tried a simple minty cucumber yogurt soup and it was much better and appetizing. There are several version for these and given below is my simple version.

Ingredients:

Cucumber: 1 big or 2 medium lightly peeled and coarsely chopped
Shallots/ Small onion: few (4 or 5) (OR) Red onion: 1/2 of a small
Fresh Mint Leaves: a handful
Yogurt: 1/2 cup medium thick
Water: 4 tbsp +/- as needed to get choice of consistency

Salt & Pepper: as per taste

Extr Virgin Olive Oil: for garnish (optional)
Fresh Mint: for garnish

Preparation:

Blend together lightly peeled and coarsely chopped cucumber along with other ingredients except those for garnish and even pepper. Do the taste test and adjust the salt. You can also add other spices like coriander or cumin to make it spicy as per your taste.Even you can add fresh dill instead or along with mint to make it more herby and different. Also adjust the thickness of the soup by adding more water or even thick yogurt.

Chill in fridge and serve in small cups as appetizer soups garnishing with pepper, mint leaves and drizzling with olive oil.


The soup is really light and appetizing and is perfect for parties as well And you can play with ingredients a bit as well.I didn't go for oil while taking pics. But it definitely adds flavour and look to the soup.

The soup is perfect not just for summer but also for NCR: starter soups/ salads at Lisas. Do hop there and take a look at the appetizing entries and do vote for your favourite.



2 Comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Excellent summer soup,very refreshing.

Lisa Turner said...

That sounds lovely and I would spice it up just a tad as you suggest. Fresh dill would also be a nice addition. Thanks for sharing with NCR this month.

Thanks for visiting my Blog

/*TYNT script starts here */ /*TYNT ends */