Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Bread | Fall Special

I was not familiar with fall or autumn.It was not considered as a season here. Atleast not where I grew up in South India. We were taught there are 4 seasons -Summer, Monsoon, Spring and winter. Actually even when I read books that mentioned autumn I confused it with winter. For me the trees shedding leaves meant onset of winter. When I understood and experienced fall it also showed that my other favourite tuber  "Sweet Potato" was in abundance .

Sweet potatoes for me were something that were easily available. I didn't know they were seasonal. Even now here I see that they are available all the year round, but in abundance from October onwards. Now I calculate fall on the basis of their arrival in the grocery store. I have already tried differenct things with sweet potatoes, but what really puts me in a good mood is a slice of sweet potato bread. Make it a whole wheat bread and you can chomp on it guiltlessly . I have adapted a recipe from Breadworld to make fall special bread given below.



Ingredients:
Whole Wheat Flour: 1 and 3/4 cup
Bread Flour: 1 1/4 to 1.3/4 cup  (All Purpose Flour + Vital Wheat Gluten)

Salt: 3/4 tsp
Nutmeg: 1/4 tsp
Yeast: 1 envelope (2 1/4 tsp)

Sweet potatoes: mashed 1 cup
Water: 2/3 cup
Honey: 4 tbsp
Soft Butter: 2 tbsp

Egg: 1 or EnerG Egg: 1.5 pkd tsp with 3 tbsp of water

Preparation:

Combine flours, salt, nutmeg and yeast in a mixer bowl. Mix together .

Combine mashed potatoes, water, honey and soft butter. Heat to warm and make sure they mix well together.

Add to the flour mix and beat . Add egg. Beat two minutes more.

Add enough remaining flour to get a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 8 to 10 minutes till smooth and elastic. Cover and let it rest for 10 minutes.

Shape it into a loaf and place in a greased loaf pan. Cover loosely with greased plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm area for 30-45 minutes until double. Bake in a preheated oven at 350F/180C for 30-45 minutes. 

Cover with foil after 25 minutes to prevent over browning.

Remove from the pan and brush with melted butter if desired.

                       

Filling and comforting bread. The whole wheat and sweet potato ensures that you are you feel full after eating one slice. I sliced it before it cooled  completely as I couldn't wait to see how it tasted.

Serve it warm with butter or any gravy. The bread is perfect with anything.

0 Comments:

Thanks for visiting my Blog

/*TYNT script starts here */ /*TYNT ends */